• Wonder City Boys and Girls Club — Summer Food Service Program at the
The Evening Times prints briefs about events for organizations, schools and governmental agencies. News briefs are accepted at the Times office, by fax at 735-1020 or by e-mail news@theeveningtimes. com. Always include contact information.
Wonder City Boys and Girls Club, 412 S. 25th St., breakfast
• Fall into Dance Classes with BOW — Fall 2019 Classes: From Ballet to Hip Hop, we have a variety of classes that will suit your child’s dance style!
Explore Our Classes! Dance Open House Saturday, Aug.
3, 10:30 a.m. to noon. Come and discover our unique dance program! Learn about our high-energy dance classes and performances that we have for your little one! 1015 S. Cooper St. in Memphis.
(901) 870-4348. Visit www.
• Immunization Clinics –
The Crittenden County Health Department is holding an immunization clininc, Friday, Aug. 2, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 901 N. 7th St., in West Memphis. Bring to the clinic your Insurance card. If out of state IMMI, bring shot record. For additional information contact the West Memphis Health Unit at (870) 735-4334.
• Dominion Back-to-School Celebration – Dominion World Outreach Ministries invites the community to participate in our Back-to-School Celebration on Saturday, Aug. 3, from 9 a.m. until noon. Families can expect to enjoy a day filled with free food, games, door prizes, stuffed backpacks and shoe giveaway and a health fair. Event partners are Shepherd’s 5R Foundation and East Arkansas Family Health Centers. For more information, please call the church at (870) 739-1331.
• 50-Plus Expo — The Crittenden County AARP Chapter 3502 will be hosting their 50-Plus Expo Saturday, Aug.
3, at the West Memphis Civic Center, 228 Polk Ave. The event will begin at 1 p.m. and conclude at 5 p.m. Admission is free. There will be live entertainment, a fashion show, martial arts and free food. Vendor booths are available for $65. Anyone interested in reserving a booth can call 870-636-2418 or 870733-2404.
• Back-to-School Bash & Health Rally – Saturday, Aug. 3, from 9 a.m.
until noon, at the Agape Christian Center, 1823 E.
Broadway, West Memphis, sponsored by the Crittenden County NAACP.
• Weaver Back-to-School Community Bash — Weaver Elementary School in West Memphis will host their “Back-To-School Community Bash” on Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019. Free food and drinks. Meet your child’s teacher, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Pride of Ruth/St. Peter Back To School Rally —
Pride of Ruth/St. Peter’s 336 will be having a Back to School Rally on Monday, Aug. 12, at the Masonic Hall, 211 South 13th St., West Memphis, from 5 to 6:30 p.m. School supplies will be given away, as well as plans for voter registration and information on healthy eating habits for children. Officers are: Nichelle Murray; West Memphis Police Chief Eddie West; Cheryl Ross; Leola Tate, secretary; Gloria Catha, assistant secretary; and Treasurer Annie Johnson. Anyone interested in more information can contact Cheryl Ross at 901-568-7218.
• West Memphis Lions Club — The West Memphis Lions Club holds their meetings every first Tuesday and third Tuesday of each month at Shoney’s at noon. Guests and new members are welcome. Anyone interested in more information can contact Willie Catha Jones at 870-735-6928.
• ASU Mid-South Annual Delta Market –
Each Saturday this summer, through Sept. 7.
Fresh produce, vegetables, arts and crafts vendors and specialty food. On the North Campus.
• MPO Quarterly Meetings — The West Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) in cooperation with the Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) announces the following upcoming meetings: MPO Citizens Advisory Committee meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 10 a.m. The CAS meeting will be held at the West Memphis City Hall, 205 South Redding, West Memphis.
The public is invited to attend.
Joint MPO Policy and Technical Coordinating Committees meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 13, at 10 a.m. This meeting will also be at the West Memphis City Hall, 205 South Redding, West Memphis. The public is invited to attend. If you have any comments or would like additional information regarding these meetings, please contact the MPO at 870-7358148 or e-mail at brawleyengineers@ gmail.com or visit the web site at wmats.org.
If you need assistance in attending these meetings contact MPO office at 870-7358148 at least five days prior to the meeting.
• Edmondson Back-to-School Giveaway — Once again, it is that time for children to return to the classroom and once again your donations for the Edmondson Community Back to School supplies Giveaway will help assure students have the necessary school supplies.
Donations will be appreciated. Anyone wishing to participate can contact Jeannie Cofeman at 870-732-2798 or 870-225-3568. The event will be Saturday, Aug. 10, from 1 to 3 p.m., at the Wedlock Life Center, 201 B.J. Taylor St., in Edmondson.
• ABC Donation Drive – Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock is conducting “A Call to Mission” donation drive in Crittenden County. Items needed include hygiene products for both men and women, clothes, shoes as well as new under garment. Also needed are bed sheets, comforters, twin extra long and pillows.
Organizers are also asking for dry foods, crackers, noodles and canned food as well as school supplies for children in all grades. Cash is also welcome as well as checks made payable to Arkansas Baptist College. Missionary M.J.
Furlow, Brothers G. Robinson and M. Rockwell and Sister T. Lewis are organizing the event. The drop-off date is Saturday, Aug. 24, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at 702 Woods St., in West Memphis. For more information, contact Missionary M.J. Furlow at (870) 732-3371.
• Crittenden County Health Unit — Beginning Aug. 6, the Crittenden County Health Unit will have special extended hours every Tuesday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. These adjusted hours give the unit the opportunity to stay open later to accommodate those who are not able to come during normal business hours. Clinical services that are available include: Women, Infants & Children (WIC), nutrition counseling and support, birth control pick-ups, Depo shots, sexually transmitted infection (STI) screening and services, and immunizations.
Family Planning Late Clinic will be the third Tuesday each month. For more information on services and regular hours call 870-735-4334. Local health units can be found online at www.healthy.arkansas.
• Master Gardeners of Crittenden County Seminar – Saturday, Sept. 14 from 8:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Marion First Baptist Church, 2137 Hwy. 77, Marion. Registration 8:30 a.m., welcome and invocation 9 a.m., growing vegetables by Tom Mashour, 10:30 a.m.
All about herbs with Evelyn Mosley, 12 p.m. lunch, 1 p.m.
cooking fresh with David Lycidas, and 2 p.m. preserving the bounty with Meredith Wayman. Pre-registration postmaked by Aug. 15 – $20.
After Aug. 15 – $25. Includes tea/coffee, lunch and workshop materials. For questions contact Russ Parker, County Extension Agent at 870-739-